Vision | Mission
To develop a comprehensively Christ-centered community through the paideia of the Lord, training students to enjoy and honor God in every aspect of their culture. The ultimate vision of Veritas is the building up of Christ-centered communities, who enjoy and honor God in their worship, work, and leisure. This is accomplished as parents transfer a way of life to their children with the support of a classical education and of local churches that share the same vision, thus unifying home education, school education, and church education.
The mission of Veritas Classical Academy is to disciple students to delight in, discern, and display the glory of God in Christ in all areas of life through classical, Christian education.
The vision of Veritas is achieved by means of discipleship. To disciple is to make a student a follower of Christ, who loves, obeys, and imitates Christ. Discipleship involves the whole person, training the student to love the Lord our God with all his heart, mind, and strength. At its core is the training of the heart…” // “His mind is then trained to discern what is right, both logically and morally, where the student learns to delight in the Lord. His mind is then trained to discern what is right, both logically and morally.
• Delighting in the truth, goodness, and beauty of God (doxological)
Students are trained to delight in the Lord first and foremost by delighting in who God is in and of himself, not as we make him out to be. Only when students discover the truth of God that culminates in Christ can they truly delight in God. Only when students see that the source of every good and perfect gift comes from God can they truly delight in God. Only when students see the glory of God in the face of Jesus can they be attracted to the beauty of God. God sets the absolute standard of truth in the Scriptures, GGod is in control of all things, bringing all things together for the good of those who love him, and God is the artist who reveals his beauty in nature and history.
• Integrating A Christian worldview with every subject (theological)
At Veritas, all subjects are taught under the premise that all knowledge is interconnected in Christ to form a coherent worldview. Facts and causes are connected with its purpose . Each subject is integrated as much as possible with the other subjects. In each subject, students are encouraged to ask the deepest and most important questions of life, constantly applying what they learn to the most mundane aspects of their lives.
• Developing Critical Thinking Skills (cognitive)
Logic is taught under the worldview that everything is connected with each other, and ultimately to the lordship of Christ, the logos. God is a God of order, and God reveals his truth, goodness, and beauty through logic. Students are taught to discern, analyze, and synthesize facts in grammar, math, language, history, and science. Facts in nature support and complement God’s revelation in his Word. The Quadrivium, or the natural sciences, is truly developed only in the larger context of the Trivium, or humanities, with philosophy and history informed by a Christian perspective.
• Cultivating a Christ-honoring culture (moral, cultural)
God calls parents to “bring up your children in the paideia of the Lord” (Eph 6:4), where paideia refers to a comprehensive training of a student to enjoy and honor God through all aspects of our culture. At school, students are first trained to love God in worship, in study, in recreation, and in their relationship with one another. This is accomplished in the classroom, as well as outside the classroom through the House System, field trips, soirees (etiquette training), field days, retreats, and mentorship from various teachers. Students are trained to humble themselves, honor one another, and to speak the truth in love.
• Building a community of God (social)
For a complete education, students must practice what they learn. This takes place in the context of God’s community. Students grow along with the maturity of their community. According to God’s blueprint for building his people (Eph 2-6), Christ’s community is built up beginning with the local churches, and continue in families, in marriage, in the bringing up of their children in the Lord, and in our work. This is why Veritas emphasizes parent involvement, parent education, and the parent-teacher partnership in the education of their children.
• Discipling through mentorship (discipleship)
Mentorship (or apprenticeship) is the means by which “a way of life” or the paideia of the Lord is passed down from generation to generation. While a Christ-centered community is necessary to provide the support, context, and goal of growth, a student grows in knowledge, wisdom, and virtue first and foremost through individual teacher/staff mentors. Real education is not so much taught but caught, as the student observes, imitates, and discusses with the teacher about the truth.
Our motto, veritas liberabit vos, is the Latin translation of John 8:32.
In English, it reads, “The truth will set you free.” We are reminded by this statement that as Christians we truly know and educate from the perspective of God’s revelation in Jesus Christ, who is the truth itself (Jn 14:6). We recite it in Latin because it reminds us that we belong to a long tradition that has cherished this philosophy.
Statement of Faith
1. We believe the Bible alone to be the word of God, the ultimate and infallible authority for faith and practice.
2. We believe that there is one God eternally existent in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. He is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent.
3. We believe that God created the heaven and earth, including all life, by a direct, supernatural act, and not by a process of evolution.
4. We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
5. We believe that the ministry of the Holy Spirit is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ and during this age to convict men, regenerate the believing sinner, indwell, guide, instruct, comfort, sanctify, seal, reprove and empower the believer for Godly living and service.
6. We believe that salvation is by grace through faith alone.
7. We believe that faith without works is dead.
8. We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved to the resurrection of life, and they that are lost to the resurrection of damnation.
9. We believe in the spiritual unity of all believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.
10. We believe that the family is ordained by God as the basic unit of His plan for His people. The institution of marriage between one man and one woman as created by God provides the foundation and definition for the family. We believe in the preservation and edification of the family to be an act of obedience to God.
11. We believe in the sanctity of all human life. This life should be protected, nurtured and helped from the moment of conception (when life begins), until death occurs normally.
12. We believe that God wonderfully and immutably creates each person as male or female. These two distinct, complementary genders together reflect the image and nature of God. (Gen 1:26-27.) Rejection of one’s biological sex is a rejection of the image of God within that person.
13. We believe that the term “marriage” has only one meaning: the uniting of one man and one woman in a single, exclusive union as delineated in Scripture. (Gen 2:18-25.) We believe that God intends sexual intimacy to occur only between a man and a woman who are married to each other. (1 Cor 6:18; 7:2-5; Heb 13:4). We believe that God has commanded that no intimate sexual activity be engaged in outside of a marriage between a man and a woman.
14. We believe that any form of sexual immorality (including adultery, fornication, homosexual behavior, bisexual conduct, bestiality, incest, and use of pornography) is sinful and offensive to God. (Matt 15:18-20; 1 Cor 6:9-10.)
15. We believe that in order to preserve the function and integrity of Veritas as the local Body of Christ, and to provide a biblical role model to the Veritas members and the community, it is imperative that all persons employed by Veritas in any capacity, or who serve as volunteers, agree to and abide by this Statement on Marriage, Gender, and Sexuality. (Matt 5:16; Phil 2:14-16; 1 Thess 5:22.)
16. We believe that God offers redemption and restoration to all who confess and forsake their sin, seeking His mercy and forgiveness through Jesus Christ. (Acts 3:19-21; Rom 10:9-10; 1 Cor 6:9-11.)
17. We believe that every person must be afforded compassion, love, kindness, respect, and dignity. (Mark 12:28-31; Luke 6:31.) Hateful and harassing behavior or attitudes directed toward any individual are to be repudiated and are not in accord with Scripture nor the doctrines of Veritas.