VERITAS DRESS CODE
General Rationale for a Dress Code
- Being overly concerned with clothing and outward appearances is contrary to God’s will (1 Sam. 16:7; Matt. 6:19-21, James 4:4, 1 John 2:15 – 17), and are destructive to the unity of the school and the body of Christ.
- Everything in our lives, including our clothing should reflect the order of the Godhead, the order He has created in the world (1 Corinthians 14:40), and the beauty of our Lord Jesus Christ (2 Cor 3:18).
- Clothing should be modest and not draw attention to the individual (1 Timothy 2:9) and should reflect differences in gender (Deuteronomy 22:5).
Specific Rationale for Uniforms
- Uniforms foster a disciplined learning environment, civility, school unity, and class spirit.
- Uniforms eliminate any confusion about what is acceptable, modest and appropriate by Veritas Classical Academy’s standards. Uniforms encourage students to evaluate people by their behavior and personality rather than their manner of dress.
General Dress Code for All Students
- Clothing should be appropriately sized. Clothes should not have tears or holes. Pants must be properly fitted. Excessively baggy and sagging pants are not permitted, nor are pants that are too tight.
- Jewelry on pierced body parts are not permitted, with the exception of earrings for girls. For safety reasons, oversized or hoop earrings are not permitted. Barrettes, hair bows and all hair accessories are allowed in moderate sizes and must be simple in color.
- All students must keep their hair neatly groomed and conservatively styled. Hair must be natural in color. Students’ hair should be out of their eyes. Mohawks or “over” spiking is not allowed.
- Visible tattoos are not permitted.
- Clothing with any kind of lettering, characters or advertising are not permitted.
- Outerwear clothing needs to be labeled with the child’s name inside the garment.
- Light natural-looking make-up is permitted for girls in grades 5 and up.
Specific Dress Code
- DRESSES, JUMPERS, SKIRTS and SHORTS must be Top-of-the-Knee (no more than 2” above the line at the back of the knee) or Below-the-Knee in length.
- Pants must have a dark belt. Shirts must be tucked in for all Elementary students and secondary men. Secondary ladies are not required to tuck in shirts.
- Exclusions: embroidery (other than the Veritas emblem), sandals, clogs, corduroy, denim, capris, cargo pants/shorts, leggings, hats, scarves, bandanas or distracting styles (e.g. dyed or unkempt hair, boys’ earrings, no-show socks, torn or soiled clothes, overdone makeup or jewelry, tattoos, immodesty, visible undergarments or camisoles, over or undersized clothing, long hair or facial hair for boys, etc.).
- A PE uniform is required for 5th – 12th grade students. PE shirts and pants should be purchased from Lands’ End or from the School Office.
- Jackets and non-uniform sweaters may not be worn.
- SHOES should be in conservative, non-distracting color. No patterns, words, pictures or characters are permitted other than a small manufacturer’s name/logo.
Tuesday Chapel Attire (All Students)
- Men: khaki or navy pants, white or blue oxford shirts, Veritas school tie, and navy sweater vest and/or blazer
- Ladies: skirts, white or blue blouse or oxford shirts, tie, and navy sweater, vest and/or blazer
- *All sweaters, vests, and blazers should have a Veritas logo.
- *Every student is recommended to wear dress shoes.